Wednesday 15 April 2015

Diva Challenge 213, Artful Creation String 004 and String Thing 88

I was determined to do more tangling this week. I've had a few weeks where I haven't made enough 'me' time and I've been getting tangle withdrawal symptoms.

SO, as well as any practice I might do, I've made sure I've done three challenges to keep me in my groove (do people still say this? Perhaps not....showing my age.)

First was the Diva's lovely challenge - pick anything as your string. I may have taken this a bit too literally as I chose scissors...and they didn't disappear into the background the way a string should. But I enjoyed the process. I've used Keeko for the border and then Printemps, Birds on a Wire, Pippin, Ennis, Diva Dance and a tangle I know I copied from Michele Beauchamp, but I don't know its name....

I would probably use scissors as a string again but make sure I didn't emphasise them quite as much.


* Not a 'STOP PRESS' announcement, but I suddenly remembered another stencil I used to nice effect. The town I live in has a wonderful hilltop castle which creates an iconic silhouette on the landscape. I have used this a couple of times as a string and thought I'd share one of them here - maybe you live near something similar. I made mine into postcards and they sold in a flash!



It's been a while since I did Cheryl's challenge too. In the past, we've tangled through the alphabet and now the challenge is to tangle through the strings found on Linda's invaluable TanglePattern's site.  This week it's String 004 - a nice simple couple of loops. I have been practising 'Narwal' by Samantha Taylor which is just beautiful and a pleasure to draw. This is my very simple version.



And I've cheated a bit with this post because I haven't yet done Adele's String Thing Challenge - BUT I WILL! And when I have, I will post it here. Adele puts all the tiles submitted to her challenge on her website on Mondays, so it's slightly different to the other two, which require a blog link in order to see people's tiles. I am going to do this challenge this evening when I finish work. Definitely. For sure. Really.

This is the string..
And the tangles this week are 8s; Pia and Tipz...great choices!
And here is my finished tangle. Thanks for looking and don't forget to check Adele's blog next week to see all the other great entries.







14 comments:

  1. Annie, I love your tiles. Nothing wrong with the scissors string, it sometimes shows more then other times. Your Narwal is gorgeous, I tried that one, but stopped after failing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annemarie - Narwal is a wonderful tangle and I urge you to stick at it. My early attempts were not very good at all but I kept practising! Axxx

      Delete
  2. You are right, the confluence of inspirations---listening to Rick, tracing Maria's work and working on the challenge (with permission, of course) was very gratifying. BTW, if you hadn't spilled the beans about the scissors, I wouldn't have necessarily assumed that was the string. It's more difficult not to see them when you know they're there, but for an unbiased mind, they are not so obvious. It just looks like a very nicely integrated collection of tangles. I need to try narwal. That is a really cool looking tangle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! I bet your experience with Rick and Maria will last a long time.
      Kind words about my string - I think I will do this again sometime because scissors provide a nice balance between curved and straight. Narwal is WONDERFUL!
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. I love your scissors tangle, very nicely done. And I wouldn't worry about it being pronounced because I didn't really even notice it until you said something. I just thought it was a nicely done tile. I love the fluidity and shading you used. And I LOVE your narwal....it's rapidly becoming one of my favorites. It's just fun to draw, but of course it took me several (or several dozen) tries to finally get it the way I like it, but it's worth it. It's just fun! Looks like you had fun this week and they are all great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lezli! Perhaps I was overcritical about my scissors string - I like how it turned out and your words are very reassuring. Isn't Narwal fun once you get the hang? It took me a while but it's just a joy to draw. Axxx

      Delete
  4. So many wonderful tangles! Your work is so pretty that I can't stop looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Becky! I'm always a bit harsh on myself and sometimes pleasantly surprised with what I've done. Your words are so kind. Axxx

      Delete
  5. I love your scissors string...so charming with so many things to see. Sometimes it just seems to come together like that, calling for a certain tangle to complete what you are sensing. The postcard is so wonderfully colored and tangled. Your work is always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynell (lovely name, by the way!) So glad you think my scissor tangles came together. The postcard is a special favourite because I love the castle it depicts SO much - my adopted home. And wow, praise indeed - I am thrilled you like my work. Axxx

      Delete
  6. Wonderful and fun to look at work this week. I especially like the scissors. I think it is fun to actually see them in the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some great ideas around, aren't there! I can recommend scissors - visible string line or not! They're fun. Thanks Jean! Axxx

      Delete
  7. Wonerful Tiles. I have to try Narwal soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm utterly enthralled by Narwal - give it a go! Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax