Tuesday 2 December 2014

Diva Challenge 196 - All Dolled Up!

I was interested in the phrase 'all dolled up' - it took me back in time to when I was a child. My grandmother and her friends used this term quite regularly and it obviously came across the waters during the war years. Referring to a woman as a 'doll' is definitely American slang - but, how it rolled off northern Yorkshire tongues...and it's a phrase I haven't heard for a long, long time. So my first thanks to Emily are for this wonderful blast from the past for me as an introduction to her challenge as guest over on the Diva's blog.

And my second thanks are for such a lovely idea. I wasn't immediately struck as I'm not a 'doll' sort and never was, but then I also remembered some lovely Russian dolls that a friend had and this inspired my entry this week. Who doesn't love the Matryoshka nesting figures? (This link is to a shop but it is mainly to show a lovely selection of painted dolls - I'm not affiliated in any way!)

Here is my Matryoshka in Zentangle. The hardest part for me was the face - I toyed with Printemps eyes but she could have ended up looking very spaced out, so I stuck with a traditional style even though this isn't very Zentangle. Hope that's OK. Great fun to do - lovely challenge. Looking forward to checking out what everyone else comes up with this week!


Thanks for visiting - hope you'll leave me a little comment. Axxx

40 comments:

  1. I love those Russian nesting dolls and didn't even think of going in that direction. I love how you did yours and your shading is really well done too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean - she was such a pleasure to do that I may do all her little sisters too! Axxx

      Delete
  2. Really well done. Especially all the compensating you had to do on the pattern around her hood/scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorita - especially for noticing all that tricky stuff too! Axxx

      Delete
  3. All dolled up - a phrase that slips out mown mouth from time-to-time, Annie. Your Matryoshka is fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny - what a great phrase it is! Glad you like my Matryoshka too. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Love your Matryoshka and your selection of tangles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JL. I am so tempted to do some more....Axxx

      Delete
  5. love your idea to do a Matryoshka doll - Tangle patterns suit her well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - she could be the start of more...though I'm not the first to tangle the Matryoshka. Axxx

      Delete
  6. Great idea, she looks very warm all tangled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! She does look rather cosy, doesn't she? Axxx

      Delete
  7. Lovely choice of patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these nested dollies! I have collected two or three different Matryoshkas and they can be addictive. But they are so unique and the shape really lends itself to doing tangles in. You have done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynell - you're right, they're lovely, aren't they? I am sorely tempted to get a set for Christmas now...Axxx

      Delete
  9. Very delicate Russian nesting doll. I love the different doll ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Russian doll is beautiful, you have chosen great tangles for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Matryoshkas very much, my little daughter has one too and is always fascinated. Your tile looks so beautiful and you choose nice pattern to fill it - great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very inspirational challenge and I love these dolls. Thank you Sandra, glad you like it! Axxx

      Delete
  12. Lovely idea to do a Matryoshka. The patterns work beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Tile, Annie. Beautiful little face, and wonderful delicate Tangling. Delightfully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was anxious about the face, David but so glad you like it. Axxx

      Delete
  14. I love your Russian nesting doll. The patterns that you embellished her with are so intricate and beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Lezli - she was great fun to do! Axxx

      Delete
  15. Great post that brings back memories. Beautiful work on your doll - just lovely tangles and her face is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antonine..the face was difficult for me so glad you like it! Axxx

      Delete
  16. Lovely Russian doll. For me, this challenge brought back memories of playing with paper cut out dolls. Interesting, I never realized that using the term "doll" to refer to a woman was a Yankee thing----and I'm a Yankee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. You are obviously far too young to remember the days when 'doll' was a popular term! Axxx

      Delete
  17. Annie, she is lovely. I am so pleased that you were inspired by my challenge idea this week. I love what you came up with and that you recalled fond memories. That's what this idea was for me--a way to think about my daughter and her love of dolls combined with my own special memories. Your tangles are delicate and ornate just like one of these dolls in real life. Just beautiful! Thank you for playing with my challenge this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too, Emily. You've had some great entries to your lovely challenge this week. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax