Saturday 31 October 2015

Diva Challenge 241 - Stones and Ceremony Guest blogger, Paula Bramante

I was very excited by this week's guest post over on I am the Diva's blog. It was a particularly interesting post for me because I have recently been fascinated by the image of balancing rocks.

I'd been trying my hand at balancing stones on the beach when we visited during the summer. But we'd reached September before a really special thing happened. My family and I spent a beautiful day at the beach making our own stacks of stones. It was both meditative and theraputic. The link to my blogpost about it is here and it includes the lovely photos I managed to capture that day.

It was the day we collected my husband as he returned from a very difficult and emotional week with his parents having found out that his father has terminal cancer. We went straight down to the beach to spend an afternoon focusing on things that are important to us....and family is pretty much number one, followed very closely by good health. It was also the week when the terrible images of Syrian children being found on the beaches of Greece and Turkey were shared around the world - children and families drowning just a short distance from the coast and in dreadful, unimaginable circumstances. Parents feeling that taking to the sea was a better alternative for their children than staying on dry land.

So, we were in thoughtful and mindful mood. It was possibly one of the most precious afternoons I can remember.

My original photograph
- taken as the sun was beginning to set



And so it was without hesitation that I turned to this post for inspiration for this week's challenge. As it seemed we were not to be limited by tile size or shape, I printed out one of my photographs of balanced stones in black and white and set to work in tangling it.














And my tangled version - I LOVE it!!

Tangles - from the bottom up: 'Cloudfall' by Lily Moon, 'Sand' - Adele Bruno's new tangle,
Japanese Leaves, Purk, Printemps, an official Zentangle pattern whose name I can't remember
and Sand Swirl.

Thank you so much Laura and Paula for making my week with this wonderful challenge that I feel so perfectly captures my feelings about stones, ceremonies and the importance of being mindful.

Axxx

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to remember such a special day. Fabulous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely something to frame as a reminder to everyone of the special bond that family has. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Jean - I may have to get it photographed before framing as the paper is rather thin, But thank you so much for your kind words. Axxx

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post! Your stones are absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele! And such a delight to do! Win, win! Axxx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post and art work, Annie. I remember the original post and hope that, given the circumstances, your father-in-law is keeping as well as possible. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind, Gaynor - thanks for popping by and leaving me this lovely comment. Axxx

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Annie, for this post and your thoughts in it. Being at the seaside and not more then that is something my husband and I love to do so I think I know what you mean.
    And I do agree about the importance of being mindful. Wish you lived next to me, I think we could talk forever.
    BTW: I LOVE, LOVE and LOVE your zia. Frame it and look at ir all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely words.....and what a lovely idea! Living near someone you can talk and talk with...we must try to arrange a visit one day. On a beach. Thank you, my lovely Zentangle friend. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax