Tuesday 19 July 2016

Diva Challenge 276 - Space Truckin' - Moving Tangles

Yay! I can do this one. It is ages since I took part in a challenge (feels like it, anyway) on account of  being incredibly busy and buzzing around from one place to another. Well, when I saw the Diva's Challenge for this week - I was prepared without even knowing it.

Tangle whilst on the move, she said. And for once, this week, I've stopped moving! I'm still busy but definitely less so. However, last week, I was busy flying back to the UK and happily tangling as I did so.

This month has been truly awful for so many reasons around the world. I didn't have time to respond to guest blogger, Suzanne Fluhr, last week and tangle for peace but my heart wishes that we could do something to bring some to those parts that are suffering right now. I can't remember feeling such deep sorrow and pessimism about the world since I was a young teenager and troubled by dreams and genuine fears that we were heading towards a nuclear war. Sigh. Zentangle is wonderful but I'm not convinced it can change the world's problems. And it seems that many places are hell bent on making them worse.

Stop, stop. I actually had a wonderful time in the UK and was so relieved to discover that people were still kind, caring, fun and friendly in the places I visited even if there has been evidence to the opposite effect in other places recently.

Before my visit to England, a friend had asked if her niece could visit for a few days as a birthday treat - to learn some Zentangle from me. She's a brave young woman with some chronic health problems that affect her ability to work full or part time. I'm delighted to say she took to it like a duck to water and even better, has gone home and produced some lovely pieces and has begun to share it with some of the young children that she looks after! Well done, Rachel! Here are some of her practice pieces:

   


And she's going from strength to strength. Hopefully joining in this challenge before too much longer!


So, here is my moving tangle. Done high above ground on a very smooth flight. Enjoyed every second of it, although I didn't quite get the 'beady one' (couldn't remember the name) right from memory! Also includes Fescu, Crescent Moon, Pokeroot, Flukes, Meringue and Tripoli.



Thanks so much for popping by. Hope to see you around again soon as I rejoin the Zentangle community during the quieter summer months.
And if anyone could jog my memory about the beady one, I will check it so that I can do it properly in future. Thanks! Axxx

16 comments:

  1. Lovely tile, how wonderful to be able to inspire others :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so incredibly inspired by the Zentangle process that it´s a joy to share it! Axxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful challenge tile. I believe that the pattern you are looking for may be Akoyo by Sandy Hunter. But I like the way you did it too. Your friend's niece did some nice tangles under your tutelage as well. Not only can you tangle beautifully, but apparently you can teach well too. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Lezli. It is indeed Sandy´s tangle, which I love. My version is a cut down one, just the two strands whereas Sandy´s creates a three strand twist. I was really lucky that Rachel took to tangling so quickly and was off creating tanglations almost immediately. I´m not CZT trained, but I do try to teach the process as closely to how others report it. Thank you for your kind words. Axxx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Annemarie. It´s been a while! Axxx

      Delete
  4. Lovely tile and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, Akoya is one of the few tangles for which I can remember the name. I'm glad you had a good visit to the UK. After Brexit it sounded like you were feeling like washing your hands of merry old England. Things got even worse after my Give Peace a Chance challenge. It was almost as if it had attracted the Evil Eye. I'm glad you had a nice smooth flight for your tangling, so you could rejoin the challenge. Not a wobble in sight. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. Certainly Akoya is one of my favourites, though I was unable to remember its name. However, I can´t remember much at the moment! I would never wash my hands of England but I am thinking of taking Spanish nationality...lol! Axxx

      Delete
  6. Lovely tile. I like the 3D effects across the while tile but more so on your Flukes. Have to remember to try that with my own tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss L! I enjoyed the shading and love how Flukes comes to like with just a few little pencil smudges. Axx

      Delete
  7. A lovely tile and I very much like the mix of patterns. like you, I'm not a CZT, nor likely to be, I'm afraid, can't justify the expense. But, also like you, I enjoy teaching the method to friends and family. You clearly have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words, Margaret. I discovered my natural teaching flair (I could say, cashed in on my naturally bossy attitude, but the two things are different) when I arrived in Spain and had to start teaching for a living. I love it but am very glad I didn´t have a career as a school teacher. That is for the truly committed! I´m not a full timer. Axxx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful work and thanks for sharing your teaching story. The student work is so lovely and elegant;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. It was lovely to focus on some of the more basic tangles to start with but I really wanted to show how shading makes tangles 'pop' and become 3D. Luckily, Rachel got this immediately and really enjoyed the shading part. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax