Tuesday 24 December 2013

Zendala Dare #84 - for Darwin

It's with a very heavy heart that I post this Zendala Dare from Erin at The Bright Owl. I was so pleased to see a new dare from her so near to Christmas and with all her own commitments to manage. Thank you Erin.

However, something happened two days ago that has thrown our Christmas from a happy time to a very sad one. Our delightful, darling shaggy dog, Darwin - who was only two and half years old - nipped out of the gate and went for a wander on his own. He didn't come back after the usual twenty minutes or so. We live in a tiny, quiet village where we have nothing to worry about at all. But after a couple of hours, we were worried and went out on foot to look for him. To no avail.

Then, just as we'd set off in the car, we were flagged down by a neighbour who was obviously distressed. Our sweetheart dog was dead in his garden, drowned in the pool. We can't think how this happened but it hurts us all dreadfully.

I have to write about it. Partly because life must go on and as we had learnt to live with him, now we must learn to live without him - and blogging is part of my life too. I couldn't possible post without mentioning him. He was, without doubt, a daft bundle of happy dogness and we were blessed to have rescued such a delightful puppy and had him with us. Sadly, just not long enough. I've posted some photos on my other blog 'Being Here' - pop over and give him a kindly pat, won't you?

My Dare this week is rather heavy - full of shading and shadow - but the hearts in the middle are full of love for my lovely Darwin.



We are all trying to be brave and have a Happy Christmas. I hope everyone else enjoys their Christmas and has a very good start to the New Year.


16 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. Please try to have a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. I know it's probably not the place to share this sort of detail but he was so much a part of us all. And he really appreciated my Zentangles! Axxx

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful and i like specialy the center and the hearts inside! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry for you that Darwin is no more. Annie, you don't have to appologize about telling about him here. I think it's a great thing that we all share things and this community is sometimes a 'warm bed' of comfort.
    So, I think you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I do find sharing with kind people very comforting and you are very kind. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Yes, Annemarie is so right. Most of us have never met, but this is a community of caring people. For those of us who have ever loved a pet, we especially mourn your loss of Darwin. A sad thing at any time, but more difficult during a season of joy. Thank you for sharing and your hearts a a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. My children have been fantastic - very difficult for them but we've hugged even more than usual this Christmas and have read all the kind comments people have left for us. I am aware that people suffer much greater tragedies and that all things have their own relevance and perspective...we feel lucky to have had him and treasure our memories. Thanks for your kind words. I hope you are having a very Merry Christmas. Axxx

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the loss of your pet. Any loss of a loved thing is difficult. Your zendala is a nice tribute. The center is very nice. Like the 3-D effect you achieved with this. The shading adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donald. I like to think that the focus of doing Zentangle has helped a bit with the sadness I've felt. I always jokingly said that Darwin was the only one who really appreciated my tangles! Your words are very kind. Axxx

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss of Darwin. Our pets are so very special to us. May you find peace and comfort in with your family and friends. Lovely zendala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Munchie. Not having Darwin around has made this Christmas feel different but it does help sharing our sadness as a family as we understand how each one feels. Axxx

      Delete
  7. A beautiful job on the Zendala-all the love for your sweet dog shows! Sorry to hear about him-know how much a part of the family they are! Our hearts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I think I might have to do a few more in him memory...his presence - or lack of - is still very strong! Axxx

      Delete
  8. So sorry for your loss. But this Zendala is a beautiful tribute to Darwin. It truly shows how much your heart is in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrie. I did always jokingly say that Darwin was the only one who truly appreciated my Zentangles...:-) I keep trying to stay positive for the children but it's still very, very hard. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax