Thursday 26 February 2015

Diva Challenge 206. Tools/Trade

Another week, another challenge. This week, Laura turned an accident into an opportunity - she's good, you know - and as a result of slicing into her thumb, she decided to use a different pen to usual. And although it didn't work out quite as she expected - lovely nevertheless -  it inspired her to challenge us to do our tangles this week using tools or material that we don't usually use or have been tempted to try.

I didn't have to think for long! Before Christmas, I ordered some laser-cut wooden trees and some hearts that I had intended to decorate and give as gifts for Christmas. However, the order took ages to arrive and in the end, I only had time to try a couple and they ended up on our tree at home.

I had a recent trip to Scotland to visit friends and decided to send myself a big parcel of more laser-cut wooden shapes, including lots of hearts for Valentine's Day. (Finding these things is Spain is difficult and if you do, it's three times more expensive than in the UK!) Yet again, my timing was really bad and I didn't have much time to carry out my plan. (That of selling them at a local market...I only managed to complete about eight....)

So Laura's challenge has arrived at the perfect moment for me - getting started on the wooden shapes!! The first is a heart that I tangled before the challenge was issued that I did for a friend's birthday, but it was a first for me as I used some new Jelly Roll sparkly pens. (I posted some of my trees and hearts on my blog already) but I didn't post this one so that she wouldn't see it before it arrived at her house for her birthday - she was very pleased with it, I'm glad to say! The hearts are about 11cms tall so it is quite a nice size for a gift.


What I did specifically for the challenge was another wooden shape - a star this time - and filled the pattern with my sparkly pens, which sadly don't show up on the scan.... but which looks really nice in real life! Obvious, I know, but the star shape lends itself perfectly to Auraknot and I really just couldn't resist. Filling the centre with Tipple was also another irresistible for me...they really are the perfect combination! I ran the scan through a photo editing programme and enhanced the colours a bit, in the hope that the 'sparkle' might show - which it doesn't but the colours are a bit more vibrant than they looked in the scan. I love the depth that Auraknot gives!


And finally, I did a little 'plaque' with the work 'Zen' on it, which I might hang around my neck to indicate that I may seem a little vague as to the plot of a film...I like to tangle sitting with the family or my husband when we sit down for the evening. I confess I prefer the tangling to watching the tv and usually have no idea at all what's going on, but at least we're sitting all together!!
With hindsight, I would have made my first 'Z' fit the more elegant style of the 'e' and the 'n' but I'm not an artist and often wish I'd done at least one thing different. NEXT time!!  I also had another go at a new tangle (new to me) called Inaura, which formed part of the String Thing Challenge last week and to which I have become a bit addicted! The size of the plaque is about 10x6cms.

You do see what I mean about the 'Z'......
Keekoo makes a great border though!


Great challenge, Laura - I do hope your thumb is better now. Check out all the great entries on her blog -which is what I'm going to do now -  and have a go yourself if you haven't yet!

Axxx

18 comments:

  1. Great work, nice idea to tangle on wood. I really love your Auraknot. it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Ilse. Wood is really satisfying to tangle on. Axxx

      Delete
  2. Your tangles are lovely! Really nicely done, and I adore the banner at the top of your blog! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachy. Glad you like my banner. It was one I did for my in-laws and originally it was square. Fun to do, too! Axxx

      Delete
  3. Both pieces are really lovely. I love the way that your shading makes them look three dimensional. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, making things 3D is what I love about Zentangle. Axxx

      Delete
  4. What a lot of beautiful stuff, Annie! Great, bright colours too. So, we do the same thing, tangling next to a husband sho is watching TV (news and more news :-) ); most of the time I have a headphone on with music that I love. I just saw that I was not a follower of yours (thought I did that a long time ago), now I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annemarie! Yes, I tangle away most evenings on my sofa and my husband on his, watching TV. Glad to see you are following! Axxx

      Delete
  5. Wonderful pieces! Your tangles and colours look very lovely on the wooden surface! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LonettA. I do like my tangling on wood. It's very satisfying. Axxx

      Delete
  6. Annie, these are all lovely, lovely, lovely! I really like the depth that you have managed to achieve in them. The Auraknot is stunning! What did you use for the color on that one? The zen plaque.... we all should have one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely feedback, Kate, thank you . I used my sparkly Jelly Roll pens for the colours. Axxx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I especially love the heart, hope your friend loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you - yes, my friend did like it very much and I just received a card from her today confirming it!! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, especially the Auraknot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean - all fun to do but there was something very Zen about doing the Auraknot on wood. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax