Wednesday 8 October 2014

Diva Challenge 188 - Coming Out and 'Tackle it Tuesday' tangles

I had no idea that 11th October was National Coming Out Day but can't think of a better way to offer my support to anyone who wants to be accepted for who they are, than to submit a tile to the Diva for this week's Challenge. Laura was moved to receive a suggestion by a young boy and it's worth reading what he had to say that prompted her to issue the challenge.

I have just read Maggiebee's blog, where as well as a great tile, she gave us the origin of the word 'GAY' when used in this context - Good As You - and coming from the revolutionary 1960s when concern for Civil and Human Rights were at the forefront of many minds. In the intervening 50 years of so, I think we have moved a little way from the bigotry and prejudice that was prevalent then but still not far enough. There is often great joy and colour in the movement to support Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people - hence the links with rainbow colours and pink parades - but still a lot of barriers to everyone understanding the problems and the lack of understanding often handed out to this section of society.

We are all our own unique mixture of genes, hormones, chemicals and complexities and to show some solidarity and support, my tile is based on a rainbow string, has a little rainbow colour in each of the tangles and the tangles I have chosen all begin the letters L,G,B and T and include Laced, Linked, Golvern, Groovy (which went its own way..as it should!) BB, Beadlines, Trio and Trumpits.



Check out the Diva's blog to see all the other great contributions,


Another tangle I've done this week is for Cheryl's Artful Creation blog, where this week, she's challenged us to do a tile using three specific tangles that spell 'SUN' - and the tangles are SeZ, a Zentangle original that I have never, ever used; Up and Across by Suzanne McNeil, which I have used just once, and the new tangle based on Nzepple, called 'Nymph' by Melinda Barlow. I wasn't sure I would like SeZ as it seems so incredibly simplistic, but as always with Zentangle, I was very pleasantly surprised. So, without further ado, here is my 'Tackle it Tuesday' tile and rather in keeping with the above challenge, I can imagine someone wearing this combination during a 1960s protest march!!



30 comments:

  1. What a fun and lively tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I really enjoyed doing it too. Axxx

      Delete
  2. You "done" good, Kate. Love your Tile. Fabulous work with Laced binding the parts of the rainbow together. Perfect pattern selection and placement. Love the use of different colors in the stipple dots. Wonderful, creative, use of color through out the piece. Beautiful Design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gulliver - and no problems about the name ;-) So glad you like my tile, you are very complimentary and I am positively glowing with pleasure! Axxx

      Delete
  3. Sorry Annie, got your name wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK Gulliver, I quite like the name Kate....Axxx

      Delete
  4. Eine sehr schöne Arbeit! Perfekte Zeichnung, wunderbare Farben!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a party on a tile. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's a fantastic description, Duchess - thank you royally. Axxx

      Delete
  6. Your rainbow tile is so festive and so much fun - love your restrained use of colour and the design of your tile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kia - I'm glad you recognised the restrained bit - but I think I managed to get the colour into everything too, which is just what I wanted to do. Axxx

      Delete
  7. What a pleasant tile to look at, it's playful and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annemarie - it was great fun to do. Axxx

      Delete
  8. Great work! I love the ribbons and how you spread the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Nat! I enjoyed doing it and putting little touches of colour here and there. Axxx

      Delete
  9. Both are lovely! But I do like the first one ... absolutely beautiful! So cheerful with the colours and the wonderful choice of tangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LonettA - I did enjoy doing the first one and it includes some of my favourite tangles as well as some new ones. Axxx

      Delete
  10. Great artwork! Love the effects in the colour tile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice tile, with lovely colour-patterns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by and leaving me a lovely comment, Aleydis. Axxx

      Delete
  12. Your challenge tile looks like a party! So cheery and lively. The lacing throughout is great, with the little ends all colorful and stuff. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you HeidiSue - I like the idea of a party on the tile! Axxx

      Delete
  13. There is definitely a parade going on in your first tile - love it! Your second tile is also very cool. You used tangles I have not used, so I'm interested to see them"in action". Great work on both. Also, I love your post. I think this community of tanglers has such compassion and intelligence. It does my soul good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antonine! Some of the tangles were new to me too and it's always good to do older ones. And thanks for your kind words, which I agree with about the tangling community - great folk. Axxx

      Delete
  14. A rainbow celebration of colors, and beautifully drawn.

    ReplyDelete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax