Sunday 16 February 2014

Zendala Dare #92

I've had a lovely day - thanks in a great part to Erin for getting a wonderful Zendala out on a (for me) Sunday morning. After putting in the washing, doing a token tidy and clean-up, playing with our new puppy (you can see some photos of him on my other blog, Being Here) and doing my share of preparing a delicious Sunday family lunch, I felt a bit of tangling was quite in order.

I've done all three this week and really did reach a Zen-like state of concentration, relaxation and focus which was wonderful.

The first one with lots of fine lines and dots:
I'm not sure what the outside pattern is - anyone know?
I used Beadlines (or a variation of them) and Echo in the star shape.

Then I started on the circle template. I wanted to get a different effect here and was inspired by a little silver Turkish plate I have on my lounge wall. I say it's Turkish - it might not be but it was my granny's and she always called it her Turkish plate, so I continue to do so now it's mine! The very middle pattern is one I made up based on a Turkish design I found on the internet. I also used Archer and Crescent Moons. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and think it looks quite different from my usual tangles.


And then, in amongst watching the Marx Brothers in 'Duck Soup' and laughing more at the guffaws from my Spanish husband than at the daft antics of the film, I started filling in the third template. At first, I began with a red pen and made a few strokes inside the 'star' shape...then I thought 'Aura Star'...so I blanked out the red pen and re-did all the stars in black. You can just see where there's a bit of 'overdrawing' that's gone on. The hearts (yes, more hearts!!) were the real Zen bit and I just kept on going around and around them until they reached the right size. Then a little Cruffle for good luck - and I think it has a totally different character from the other two.


Thank you Erin - a most satisfying Zendala template! What did everyone else think, I wonder? Check out the other submissions at The Bright Owl - I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have done with this one. 


27 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy and accomplished a lot in one day (and that was even before doing the Zendala's)! Your three Zendala's are all lovely and each has it's own tale to tell! I couldn't choose a favourite. (The outside tangle in the first one is Golven - one of my favourites!) Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Sue! I'm so glad to know Golven - I had a little sketch in one of my early 'discovering Zentangle' books when I didn't realise the importance - and usefulness - of getting to know the names of tangles. It certainly helps me to have the name as well as the image in my head. And it's much better than saying, you know, the one with the lines and the curves and the wiggly bits....!
      Axxx

      Delete
  2. All three of your Dares turned out great! Like Sue, it's hard to pick a favorite, so I won't. All three are beautifully drawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie...it's very good of you to comment and leave me such glowing feedback! Axxx

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, Annie, this is a very beautiful template. Do you know that Golven is the Dutch word for Waves? Golven was created by Mariët, a very talented Dutch tangler.
    I love you three entries and I do have a favorite, the second one and I think it's because of the great contrast in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just seen your absolutely beautiful take on this template, Annemarie - you were most inspired! Thank you for letting me know about Golven too - I know Mariet's lovely work. I think I enjoyed the second one best of all, so glad you like it. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Your entries are very beautiful. I like all three of the entries and also have a favorite tangle. I like the outside of the third one, how it goes through and over and under the lines. Very, very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The tangle you refer to is an 'aura knot' one of the originals created by Maria and Rick Thomas - in this case, it's a star shape. As all tangles, it's not difficult, you just need to concentrate a bit! Axxx

      Delete
  5. It's the great thing about Zentangle, isn't it? Everyone does something different and the choice of tangles is so wide! Thanks for your comment. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al 3 are beautiful different and lovely. The 3 one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carmela - it was a lovely template! Axxx

      Delete
  7. Wow! You really did have a beautiful and productive day. I love all three of your tiles, but the Turkish plate tile is my favorite.

    Be creative and catch some happy!

    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacque! Certainly it was an indulgent day - I don't always have the time to do one Zentangle, never mind three! And a great template to indulge on - creative happiness!
      Axxx

      Delete
  8. Your 3 zendalas are so different. This is something I like about tangling, how using the same string, (in this case a zendala), a person can end up with such varying results through using different tangles. I particularly like your third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lianne! You sum up exactly what I love about tangling too. Even the differences you can get with your own versions of the same thing are interesting - and when you then go and look at what others have done, the variations are amazing! Axx

      Delete
  9. You did such beautiful work. All three are lovely and I don't know how you could do anything with that cute little puppy to give your lovin' to:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean - and cute little puppy is either full-on mad and crazy requiring attention or he's crashed out, fast asleep in true puppy style! That's how!
      Axxx

      Delete
  10. Wow! All three zendalas are wonderful! Each of them has a separate impression and I can´t decide for a favorite!
    Very nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LonettA! I only just realised I should have included Paradox...which I love...but I think three is enough. No time for another!
      Axxx

      Delete
  11. I LOVE all your zendalas!! What an AWESOME way to spend an afternoon... and well deserved! I have yet to try my hand at a zendala... I'm fairly new new to zentangle.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog... following me... AND putting my blog on your blog list! Best. Day. Ever! Such a lovely surprise! Thank you! I have now followed you and I need to make a blog roll too! I'll definitely be adding your beautiful blog to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that you'll love Zendalas Holly! Thank you for your kind comments.
      I too am quite new and love seeing what others are doing - blog lists are great for finding out what my favourite tanglers have done as soon as they publish! I loved your work so don't want to miss it!
      Axxx

      Delete
  12. Busy, busy, busy, and productive. They all have very appealing qualities. Not sure I have a favorite, but I am really drawn to the second one. Like the bold lines and he negative space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donald - busy, productive and very happy about it! I too am still drawn to the second one when I look again. It was such a good template. Axxx

      Delete
  13. I agree with the others, all three tiles are super but I also have a favourite and that is no. two. I like the boldness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to get such positive comments - I'm really grateful for them. Glad you like my favourite too, thank you, Chrissie! Axxx

      Delete
  14. I,too, think they are all great zendalas, but am really drawn to the second one.

    ReplyDelete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax