Monday 3 March 2014

Zendala Dare #93...Snowflakes and structure

After a week without a Zendala, I was almost frantic to get my hands on The Bright Owl's latest post - thank you Erin! As always, she offered a beautiful template to tangle and suggested we think 'Snowflake'.

I looked and looked and thought and thought. And then I made my snowflake attempt.

It is a very simple design where I tried to make the diamond shapes as three dimensional as possible so they looked like ice-crystals. I don't know if these are actual Zentangle patterns or not...anyone know? Then I did lines of Jitterz in between to create a 'frosty' feel. I rather like how the centre turned out too - accidentally!


I was desperate to do another Zendala and decided to forget the snowflake theme as I was sure I couldn't do another that I would like as much. This Zendala had such a structural look to it that I decided to focus on that aspect - and I really enjoyed myself, working quite late into the night with it! A real Zen experience and such a fulfilling feeling when looked at the end result. I tried out the new tangle from Art Lady Kate, Tropicana - what a great tangle! I wished I'd used it all the way round actually but it was too late - I'd done the alternate spaces first....I will try and list all the tangles I used - it seemed to be a lot!!

Fassett, Tropicana, Flux, Echoism, Paradox, Banderole, Florz,
a variation on Ditto and disguised as diamonds, Cubine

I am very happy with this Zendala - not especially for how it looks but for the intense pleasure I had in doing it. Once again, I am so glad I found Zentangle and the lovely people who do it - for the sharing and time given to provide such great information, tutorials, ideas and support. THANK YOU!


15 comments:

  1. WOW - these are so cool, & so very different! The first one is so simple & you totally hit the nail on the head as far as making it look like a snowflake... & the second one is just PACKED with all kinds of well drawn goodies with nice shading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn for such lovely feedback. They were just great fun to do! Axxx

      Delete
  2. Thank you Caroona. I took a while looking at images of real snowflakes on the internet and so many of them are made up just of lovely diamond shapes so I thought I'd stick with that! Tropicana is wonderful to do!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw, very beautiful both zendala's. The first one is simpel and fine, the second one has very beautiful combination of tangles. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carmela - I'm so glad you like them both. Axxx

      Delete
  4. Wonderful! Two great zendalas. The first really does look like a snowflake, which is very hard to achieve. The second is so complex and rich. I can see why you enjoyed creating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely comment, Karen - thank you so much! I did enjoy them both and I think I am as pleased as I could be with them.
      Axxx

      Delete
  5. Love it! Both of them, and they are so different! The first just screams snowflake and then the second is just a beautiful piece! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - shows how wonderful Zentangle is - a single template can not only be so different when one person does it twice - but a quick look at the templates that others have done demonstrates how incredibly flexible and adaptable the art form is! (I do like the idea that my first one is a screaming snowflake!) Axxx

      Delete
  6. You did well coming up with a snowflake representation. I was woefully lacking in that area. Like the second one and like the Tropicana. Have not tried that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donald. It took me a while and then a lot of self-control not to 'do more'! But I'm pleased with the final result - and the second one was pure pleasure! Axxx

      Delete
  7. Your first really does give the impression of snowflake and the second one is just crammed with goodies! I think it must have left you with a great sense of achievement x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm so glad you like them both. And you are quite right - I LOVE that Zentangle is so very satisfying to do and really does give a sense of achievement. Axxx

      Delete
  8. Both are beautiful; the first is definitely icy looking, and the second is so complex. Not only complex, but so beautifully drawn; terrific line work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Audrie - this is wonderful feedback and I am very grateful. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax