Thursday 14 November 2013

Diva Challenge 144 - A Bug's Life

When I saw this challenge from Laura on I am the Diva, I thought it wasn't for me. I did my first Zendala challenge that Erin put out and it felt quite comfortable...and challenging. But drawing bugs...I didn't quite get it. The only bug I like is a ladybird and several people had already done wonderful things with them. When I stopped to think about it, I could see the appeal of lacy-winged types, like dragonflies...but I felt overly challenged by getting the shape of it all right.

So I did something very obvious...a spider web, just to see how it turned out. I actually felt a bit silly - a grown...nay, middle-aged woman, sitting at the dinner table drawing a spider's web but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. Couple of silly mistakes for you to find if you feel like it...but hopefully, you'll feel 'drawn' in to my spider's inventive little efforts. Great fun! And yes, it took quite a long time but I was enjoying Mary Beard's 'Meet the Romans' series as I worked. And I decided to give colour a miss - it didn't seem necessary to this drawing and would probably have detracted from it. (I just didn't know where to start with colour!)




Thank you Laura - I enjoyed this one very much in the end and my spider isn't too preditory, honest!

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Too kind, Carol - thank you for popping by and leaving me this encouragement! Axxx

      Delete
  2. This is really fantastic! Wonderful depth and contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lonetta! It really was great fun to do. Axxx

      Delete
  3. No color necessary, this is wonderful. I can tell how much you got into your fabulous tangled web. Love the touches of rivets and metal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, Daniele - and glad you like the rivets and metal...I added those right at the very end and I do believe it was just a little moment of pure inspiration.. Axxx

      Delete
  4. It is beautiful....please design a door size one for me to hang up to keep the bugs out. I too love the industrial elements...great stuff. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what an excellent idea, Janice...if only it would work! Glad you like it. Axxx

      Delete
  5. This is super and I like the way it is so different to the other entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Chrissie. I wonder whether it's because I'm not so well up on Zentangle that it's different...I hope it doesn't really matter....Axxx

      Delete
  6. This is just a stellar piece. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love meeting new people and their work this way. Axxx

      Delete
  7. As i am finding, there seems to be no rules with zentangle you just go with an idea and see how it turns out. Your work is amazing, great 3d effect. I think you may be right about not adding colour. This was first my challenge to try colour and i just dived straight in and probably went over board. Maybe scan it and print it, colour it in and see what it looks like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna....thank you so much for your kind comments. You're right, there are no rules and that's partly why I like it so much, but what others do is always an inspiration. I can't find a link to your work but I'm sure you will have just as much fun as I did! Maybe I will try some colour....
      Axxx

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Annie...I did make a couple of mistakes which are all I see! Axxx

      Delete
  9. so clever and stunning! I laughed, all I could think of was a lady bug too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the name of your blog! Nice of you to comment here - and thank you! I thought your ladybug was lovely! Axxx

      Delete
  10. This is overall my favorite tangle of all that I've seen that I really like. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Michelle, you have made my day! Thank you...but keep on looking, there are some incredible artists out there who can do things with tangles that I could only dream about! Axxx

      Delete
  11. I like how you used each section as a playground for tangles. Your spider looks quite realistic too. I used a lady bug because it is one of the few bugs I can tolerate looking at. Not a bug person LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, Jean - and I have plenty of opportunity to see them close up as I live out in the countryside and they enter my house whenever they feel like it!
      Glad you like my spider tangle...not difficult but I'm pleased with the effect. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax