Monday 11 November 2013

I dared!

In the Zentangle and other tangling worlds, challenges and dares are issued. Sounds rather formidable but it's really just one way of stimulating creativity.

I am in awe of some of the results of these challenges and in a number of the blogs I follow - see my sidebar on the right - you'll see both the challengers (who always give it a go) and those who take up the challenge.

I haven't yet dared to do one but today I'm feeling brave. Erin at The Bright Owl has been putting out Zendala Dares for some time - she's up to 80 this week and I decided to have a go. I chose a Zendala rather than a pattern challenge as it's the first time I will have used a template to tangle. And it was great fun - so much so that I did three... There were two sheets of paper to print out - the first held two smaller copies of the template dare and the second sheet held a full A4 size copy. I couldn't resist.

This is about the size on the template. I made it 'busy' and it has just two patterns that are not official and so have no name as far as I know. The squirly one in the outside shapes is one I've drawn since I was at school and is a fairly universal doodle.


This is the second one - also about this size on the template. This has 'Betweed' in some of the centre triangular parts whilst the other centre parts have a little 'Huggins' adaptation in them. The outside shapes have stripes- no explanation necessary and a little Mooka. Actually, seeing it here, I rather like it!
And finally. I had a go at a large size and really put some effort into Paradox in the centre, with Hollibaugh, a version Crescent Moons and something I think I made up in the other...though it started off as Nzepple...and then a few Cruffles...who can resist a Cruffle?




I'm so glad I dared. Am off to try and post this link onto Bright Owl's page....



16 comments:

  1. Love your Zendala, and the paradox in the centre is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Don - for commenting and for saying you like my paradox! I've only just learnt how to do it and am hooked. I do cheat a bit, by doing the lines quite far apart to start with and then filling in afterwards...it seems to work and I end up with something neater and more controlled, which is what I think it needs. Axxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, you really jumped in doing three of them. They are all wonderful, but I am drawn to the one in the middle. I love really dark black with the reflective white. Yours is so well done. I wish I could make mine look like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So grateful for your lovely comment, Jean. Left one for you too as I've secretly visited your lovely blog before now. I wasn't sure the middle one worked until I saw it - more objectively - published on my blog. Now I like it much more. Thank you,
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. Gee, Annie, these are really lovely! I think you did a beautiful job with paradox in the third one. I looked through your blog, & I gotta tell you, you're doing fantastic stuff! Please keep joining us for the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn...it's really kind of you to comment. I've just had a look at your beautiful work..I can learn such a lot from you, especially about colour; your work is stunning. Thanks again, Axxx

      Delete
  4. All three are wonderful! Especially I lilke the second one. It has a nice contrast and a great choice of tangles! Also Paradox in the third one is amazing with this great shading. I had a look through your blog.
    There are so many beautiful drawings! Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is praise indeed! I was really impressed with your work, LonettA. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Axxx

      Delete
  5. Your zendala's are all beautiful, for me the second one is also the favorite. Please never forget that zentangle is about the process, not the result.
    Gret to meet je here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. You are absolutely right - it's definitely the process that is important and satisfying. Sometimes, when I've finished, I'm quite surprised at what I've done. Good to meet you too. Axxx

      Delete
  6. I really like the second one but the third one is nice, nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecile. I think the second one has grown on me...I enjoyed doing them all. Axxx

      Delete
  7. How long do they take Annie ? I don't have a vision of you sitting for hours.....Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infamous for being Anne 'I don't do detail' Taylor at work, I always used to feel that the chocolate making was the antidote to having always to be able to see the big picture and work strategically in my job. I don't have that same contrast now but I do find I can sit for a considerable amount of time working on a drawing....hours and hours no, but certainly more than an hour to produce these three... Axxx

      Delete
  8. Wow, great to see the differences in doing all three! Looks like it would take hours and hours to me - especially the larger one! Beautiful line work and shading; and great choices of tangles.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to pop by and comment, Sue - thank you for your words. The last one definitely took some concentration - but I don't know how long exactly....but not hours and hours! I tend to still choose my favourite tangles...must start trying some that are more challenging. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax