Tuesday 14 January 2014

Diva Challenge #150

I thought long and hard about 'my word' for the new year, as suggested in I am the Diva's Challenge #150. There were many words I could have chosen to try and suggest a key meaning for 2014 but I decided to really set myself a challenge. This year, my chosen word is inspire

I want to be inspired and I want to be inspiring. And inspiration doesn't just happen - we have to work at it. I like Peter De Vries' quote: 
“I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at 9:00 every morning.” 
I have never read Peter De Vries' but I am inspired to - and will!

How can one find inspiration? Well, experts suggest that 'doodling' can help - hurray!  I have found I am very inspired by Zentangle and so the word is appropriate for the reaction it has in me. I am inspired to try new patterns, to sit down most days and let my pen wander over the paper, with intent but not too much instruction and I do try to let the tangles 'happen'. In turn, this is very inspiring. As a creative but not particularly artistic person, when I finish a Zentangle or ZIA,  I feel I have created something that IS artistic - abstract and intricate and often quite beautiful! It is a really good feeling.

And in turn, I have been inspired to share my enthusiasm and now run a small but engaged Tangle group in my local area, where I can see how inspiring the making of Zentangle patterns is to others. We are learning together as there isn't a CZT for hundreds and hundreds of miles!

Apart from Zentangle, I also want to inspire the students I teach. Living in Spain, I find many people either want to study English or want their children to learn. I am a qualified teach of English to speakers of other languages and I work hard to make my lessons interesting and engaging.  I do genuinely love the English language. The more Spanish I learn, the more I love English and its flexibility, its subtlety, its lyrical sound. I want to inspire my students with a love of the language too - it's the greatest motivator for learning I can imagine.

 inspire
  • ɪnˈspʌɪə/

    1. 1.
      fill (someone) with the urge or ability to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.


      • create (a feeling, especially a positive one) in a person.


      • animate someone with (a feeling).


Interestingly, I would still trust my words to inspire much more than my ability to produce art!! But I enjoyed doing a detailed set of tangles for my challenge this week. And am looking forward to seeing what my talented tangling friends have come up with over on Laura's blog. (That's probably you!!)

Tangles used: Ionic, 'Bales', Nzepple, Itsy Bitsy, Ilana, Nvelope, Florz and a selection of individual patterns, including Fern, Fengle, Zinger and Fescu...

(I was 'inspired' to run my black and white tangle through BeFunky's photo editor
to give it this 'sunburst' effect!)

  1. Hope you'll be inspired to leave me a comment! 

22 comments:

  1. I teach English to Spanish speakers and I love the beauty of your language. Inspire is a perfect word for a teacher and this is a beautiful setting for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan and delighted to make your acquaintance. I discovered your lovely blog yesterday and like what you do very much. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful word choice and piece. Thanks for sharing. I'm quite new to Zentangle, so I am learning a lot from the work of others.

    My word is CREATE. This is the third year I've done the one word thing. I've loved it in the past and look forward to all this year brings. Especially now that tangling will be part of it.

    Best wishes to you and yours for a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, MisssR! I too am still learning - and have lots to learn but we're both in the right sort of place to get positive encouragement and to find out lots of great tips and ideas. Keep on creating! Axxx

      Delete
  4. You made a great tile. the color and combination of tangles go so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly - I cheated with the colour but I do like the effect and enjoyed using a selection of new (and inspiring) tangles. Axxx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work Annie, its great to read you have started a zentangle group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna - and thank you. I am hoping it's OK to hold a class - not being 'certified' and all...but there's no way my little group here in the south of inland Spain will get access to the real thing! I am used to teaching and am hoping to take the class to local Spanish folk too...It's just lovely to share the positive effects and my group seems very enthusiastic! Axxx

      Delete
  6. Inspire. What a great word for a teacher. I'm sure you are an inspiration. I love the happy tangle you did as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean - I shall aspire to be inspiring! (Or expire in the attempt...) I really enjoyed doing the tangle, so very glad you think it looks happy.
      Axxx

      Delete
  7. What a great word you have chosen! I like your tile, the tangles are great and I also LOVE the background color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annemarie - glad you were inspired by it. The background colour is via BeFunky - sunburst effect! Axxx

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed reading your post -- it was inspiring! Your ZIA is beautiful. I love the sunburst effect even if it was computer generated -- art has no limits or boundaries. Look forward to seeing more of your art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely, encouraging words, Ronnie. Thank you so much!! I tried to see your blog but I couldn't find any posts on it....I do like to look at others' work. Do you have a link to your own work? Axxx

      Delete
  9. I love your bright and vibrant tile and your word choice! I am sure you will inspire many this year and hopefully fine lots to also be inspired by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue - I certainly do hope so. It's been a great challenge and there have been a lot of inspiring words and images! Axxx

      Delete
  10. Annie, I really like your Zia, and your word!!! I tend to use that word a lot since I'v been blogging!! And I have to say, I just love the tangle of your border. Do you mind telling me the name of that one? I really like it. :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annette - thank you so much for leaving me such as positive comment. The border is Margaret Bremner's Ionic which is a lovely one and I'm glad you like it. It's on Tangle Patterns. Axxx

      Delete
  11. Great tangle Annie, the colour makes me think of the Spanish sun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! We've had a very miserable week - I shall look at my tangle again and imagine the sun coming out! Thanks for popping by and commenting. Axxx

      Delete
  12. Beautiful Annie, I love the colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LynnO! The colour was a cheat but it does make a cheerful difference. Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax