Tuesday 28 January 2014

Weekly Challenge #152 - Aquafleur

I start with a bit of an apology. I've had a stinking horrible head cold this week and it's left me feeling rather down in the dumps. This, despite it being my delightful daughter's 10th birthday yesterday. Even balloons and presents and cards and her unique and beautiful pleasure in it all couldn't quite rouse me to where I would love to have been....

And I suspect this shows in my attempt at Aquafleur - the Diva's Challenge for this week. Everything I've seen thus far suggests a light, billowing sort of tangle - great fun, a bit of a show-off centre-stager sort of tangle. So I can't quite explain what happened to mine....to me, it looks to be 'lurking' not blooming, its lovely bands slipping off  whilst being overwhelmed by miserable weather conditions and dank, ferny undergrowth! Ah, me...must be feeling sorry for myself!



I did have another go later on though and was so pleased with the Aquafleur I did, I couldn't bear to add anything to it at all! It's still a bit on the heavy side but I love the effect of the shading - I shall work at making it more cheerful next time I try it! 




I have loved seeing what everyone else has done with it this week. See the entries here and maybe submit one of your own! 

Off for a nice hot bath and bit of pampering now, I think!

20 comments:

  1. Annie, I love your Aquafleur, particularly the sparkle. I just clicked on "Follow". I think that if you moved it up higher, more people would see it and join your site. Next year, do join the Grow your Blog. I got lots of new followers and met some other nice people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean - for your lovely comment, for following and for the tip. I love feeling 'involved' in the blogging world and what is going on on other people's blogs but it does sometimes feel like I'm 'lurking' when there's no reciprocation. I'll check out your suggestion - haven't heard of it before. Thanks again. Axxx

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the drama of your shading. Your first one as a "beetlejuice" look to it that is so whimsical! The more minimalist aquafleur is beautiful, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kailey - I like it better with your 'beetlejuice' description! It's a beautiful tangle and I like it just as it is in the second one. Axxx

      Delete
  3. I love the shiny one, it looks like a gemstone encased in precious metal. I agree it needs nothing else. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! What a lovely description - I feel we should be able to pick it up and run away with it! Axxx

      Delete
  4. I really like the shading on the second one. It just gives it such depth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you Kate! I finished it and was pleased with the effect - so just stopped there! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your second tile is absolutely gorgeous!! Fantastic 3D effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, LonettA. I just felt I had to stop and leave it as it was.
      Axxx

      Delete
  7. I like the shading on the second tile. It helped create a nice dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donald - I do like shading and this was particularly satisfying!
      Axxx

      Delete
  8. Your shading is really GREAT!!!! Hope you feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annemarie - thank you for your kind words! And yes, I am feeling a bit better now - and am still practising Aquafleur. Axxx

      Delete
  9. It's amazing how art reflects your mood. Well done on getting honours in 'its a string thing' your tile was amazing!!!!! I tried a tunnel effect and failed miserably, looking at yours I now know where I went wrong. Your shading is really starting to make your tiles pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna. I'm still not very consistent...some things work and some look really pathetic! I do think shading makes a big difference and changes the whole appearance of a tangle and gives depth to the penstrokes. I am loving the learning curve and can see you do too! Axx

      Delete
  10. I think the first piece is awesome -- especially the way it totally reflects how you've been feeling. The second one is such a contrast. So refined. I can see why you chose to leave it just by itself. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....it really did reflect my mood!! It's an amazing tangle and can look so silly and yet so sophisticated - I do like it! Axxx

      Delete
  11. Both are lovely. I really like the dimension you have achieved in your second one, though :) Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I am struggling to achieve the lovely flow that you have - or even something approaching! But it's a beautiful tangle when not in the grip of a cold....I am feeling much better now, thank you! Axxx

      Delete

I read everyone's comments and am delighted that you took the time to share your views. Thank you! Ax